Beekeeper Supplies for the Beginning Beekeeper
When preparing to start a successful beekeeping business or hobby, one of the most important things is the right equipment and beekeeping supplies. Beekeeping is a activity that has the inherent risk of getting stung. But by using the right equipment and supplies you will be able to greatly reduce or eliminate this risk.
There are different supplies to fit all types of hives. Below you are able to find the most important equipment and supplies described one by one, as follows:
- First, the most important thing that you need to get started is a protective bee suit, a hat, veil and a pair of gloves. These items will help to ensure that every part of your body is covered with no open or exposed areas that might allow for a bee to access any part of your body.
- You will also want to get a smoker. Smokers are basically fireboxes generating a certain amount of smoke. The smoke helps you to keep the bees calm. This will make it much easier and safer for you to work with them without them seeing you as an intruder or a threat.
- Next is a hive to house your bees. One model, the Langsroth hive comes with a removable frame. This feature is great as you are able to pull the frame out and regularly check the hive for parasitic infections. As well, you can use these to divide a big hive into different rooms for reproduction purposes.
Additionally, these frames are ideal to extract the honey without keeling a single bee. The second type of hives is the top bar model. These are usually easy to use and inexpensive. The only inconvenience is that they need to be placed on a top bar previously provided.
- Supers, which are wooden boxes that hold honey bee frames, are also important beekeeping supplies helping you to protect the hives from different weather conditions. Usually, these contain about ten frames being shallow or deep. The deeper supers are great for brood chamber use, so the bee queen is able to lay eggs. As well, the bees taking care of larvae also use this chamber. Besides these, the shallow supers are used for honey storage.
- And now you are ready for the main ingredient, the bees. You can purchase them together with their queens from many different sources. You are able to buy them with special boxes containing an entire colony led by adult bees. You should purchase the bees from a local shop, so the bees are accommodated with the climate.
- Another important thing you should also get is honey extracting tools. The honey extracting tools include a brush, so you can sweep the bees, escape boards to redirect the bees and honey extractors. Your can purchase the stainless steel extractors as they are very durable. You should also purchase the appropriate mite control and bee medication supplies.
With all of the above mention items you will be ready to get started on a happy, safe and productive time with your beekeeping venture.
Debbie Miller is a beekeeping expert. To learn more about beekeeper supplies visit her website athttp://www.beekeeping-courses.com